If you are anything like me and have had very little support for your interest in domestic skills growing up since taking a short class in Jr. High School I would first recommend educating oneself before jumping right in and buying your first sewing machine, pattern, some fabric and then setting off. What follows are some of my favorite books on the subject of sewing. You may notice that they are all vintage titles, which I happen to prefer. Individual reviews will follow:
- Better Homes & Gardens. Better Homes & Gardens Sewing Book: Sewing How-To for Home and Family. Des Moines: Meredith Publishing Co., 1961.
- Butterick Fashion Marketing. Vogue Sewing. New York: Harper & Row, 1982.
- Lynch, Mary and Dorothy Sara. Sewing Made Easy. Rev. Irene Gora. New York: Doubleday & Company, 1969.
- Margolis, Adele P. The Encyclopedia of Sewing. New York: Doubleday & Company, 1987.
- Picken, Mary Brooks. Singer Sewing Book. New York, Singer Manufacturing Company, 1949.
- Simplicity Pattern Co. Simplicity Sewing Book: Helpful Hints for Beginners and Experts. New York: Simplicity Pattern Co, 1947.
If you should have any other books work recommending, please list below for consideration.